Guinness Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream Recipe

Аdvertisement
Ingredients

Makes 12 Cupcakes.

For the cupcakes:

    ½ cup Guinness Stout
    1 stick unsalted butter
    3/8 or little less then ½ a cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    ¾ tsp of baking soda
    3/8 or little less then ½ tsp of salt
    1 egg
    1/3 cup sour cream



For filling:

    4 oz bittersweet chocolate (minced/small shavings)
    1/3 heavy whipping cream
    1 tbl butter at room temperature

For buttercream:

    1½ cups powdered sugar
    ½ stick unsalted butter at room temperature
    3 tbl Baileys Irish Cream (or you can substitute it with milk or heavy cream)

How to make Guinness Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream

I LOVE beer, and Guinness is one of my favorites!  And so, when I saw the recipe for Guinness Cupcakes and Baileys Butter Cream Frosting on Confessions of a Tart, I was immediately blown away.    Of course, I am not much of a baker, because sweets just are not my thing.  But hey, this recipe's got beer in it, so naturally, I was curious.  And whoa, Baileys Irish Cream? I love that too! I just had to try it.

I have never baked anything from scratch before, so when these cupcakes turned out delicious (the way cupcakes should taste), I was delighted!  It was really fun being able to see the cocoa and bittersweet chocolate bits turn into something that had the consistency of melted chocolate. Yum! It lets me know I'm on the right track too.  My favorite is definitely the Baileys butter cream frosting.  Since I don't have an electric blender/mixer, I had to do everything by hand, and whisking the butter cream to get that creamy texture was the hardest part of this experiment.  The results were well worth it though, so don't let that small obstacle stunt you!

Cooking Directions:

Prehead oven to 350°F and line muffin pan.

Making the cupcakes:

    Take unsalted butter and Guinness and let simmer in a small sauce pan.  When mixture is simmering, add cocoa powder and whisk thoroughly.  Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool. (I stuck mine in the fridge.)
    In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar.  Whisk.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine egg and sour cream.  Whisk until the consistency begins to look like cream.
    Take Guinness mixture from fridge and combine into egg/sour cream mix bowl.  Whisk.  (You will start to obtain a soft creamy chocolate-y consistency here).
    Add your flour mix, and continue to whisk thoroughly.
    Using a large spoon, scoop mix into lined muffin pan.  Place in oven and allow to bake.

Filling:

    Bring heavy cream to a simmer in a small sauce pan.
    Pour over bittersweet chocolate.  Allow to sit for one minute, then whisk. Add in butter and continue to whisk until consistency becomes creamy.
    Pipe filling into center of each cupcake.  (I used a toothpick to make small holes in the cupcakes when they were done baking.)

Now to the fun part!!!
Baileys Butter Cream Frosting

    Whisk butter (this is going to be hard with a whisk if you do it by hand, so I suggest using a fork; or one step up, an electric mixer).  Add in a few tablespoons of powdered sugar at a time and continue to whisk butter.
    Once all the sugar has been used up, add in Baileys and continue to whisk.  If cream becomes too thin, add in a few more tablespoons of powdered sugar.
    Pipe or spread butter cream over cupcakes and serve.  Or you can place it into the fridge to allow butter cream to thicken then serve. Your choice, really.

The butter cream part took me awhile.  I walked around in circles all over my kitchen while whisking this thing.  This was the first time I ever made butter cream, it was surprisingly easy!  Well, aside from the extreme mixing I had to do.  I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I (or more like, my boyfriend) did!

Author j6tran
opensourcefood.com/people/j6tran/recipes/guinness-cupcakes-with-baileys-buttercream

Popular Posts