Tie-Dyed Cake! Recipe

Аdvertisement
Ingredients
Makes 9-10 servings.

    1 box Betty Crocker White Cake
    1 box Betty Crocker Classic Gel Food Colors
    12 oz clear soda (I used Diet 7-Up)
    2 square pans (I believe mine were 8"x8"x2"; you can also use round pans, I don't believe it matters much)



 How to make Tie-Dyed Cake!

While planning an upcoming retirement party with the theme "psychedelic acid-trip," I figured tie-dyed cakes would come in handy.  Although I had never seen one in my entire life, I took a chance and searched Google.  And of course, not totally to my surprise, were various recipes!  This one from Omnoicon immediately stood out to me.  Hm... could it have been the brilliantly colored photographs that caught my eye?  Whatever it was, it definitely induced me to try and make some for myself!  So here I was, running to the grocery store at 11:30pm.

To my surprise, it was super easy!  I adjusted the recipe a bit to fit more of what I prefer.  I am not a large fan of frosting or butter cream, so my cake is rather simple, just the cake!  It was definitely fun to see all those wonderful colors in the end though!  And although I had to stay up until almost 1:00am to see the results, it was certainly worth it!

Cooking Directions:

    Pour cake mix into a mixing bowl.  Add 12oz of clear soda and whisk until batter has completely dissolved in the soda.  (You will see a bit of foam in the beginning, but don't worry, this will go away as you continue to whisk).
    Separate your batter into 6 small bowls.  Make sure you give Bowl 1 the most batter and gradually decrease your batter amount in each consecutive bowl.  Bowl 6 should contain the least amount of cake mix.
    Choose your first color (I chose orange), and squeeze about a dime sized amount into Bowl 1. Continue doing this with your other colors, for Bowls 2-6.  Mix well, until colors are bright!
    Take the contents of Bowl 1 and pour half its contents into the middle of the baking pan.  Do not worry about spreading it out.
    Pour half the contents of bowls 2 directly on top, and in the middle of your first layer.  Continue doing this with bowls 3-6.  After your pour in your last bowl, you should see that the batter is starting to take the shape of the baking pan.
    Take the rest of your contents and pour into second baking pan.
    Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.  Stick a toothpick into the middle of the cakes to make sure it is done baking.  If toothpick comes out clean, then it's finished!


After letting your cakes cool down, cut them into several pieces and marvel at their beautiful colors!  I can see this being a fun project to work on with young children, who would also be very amazed at what they've helped make.

Caution: Make sure the bottom layer has more batter, otherwise the color might not show after its done baking.

Author j6tran
opensourcefood.com/people/j6tran/recipes/tie-dyed-cake

Popular Posts